Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Dec 26, 2000  8:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] help with opera scene selection

You asked for an opera scene for about 5 sopranos, 3 baritones, and 2
tenors - or, I imagine, several scenes that can use a combination thereof.
Here are some suggestions:

S,S,T,Bar
Act III of LA BOHEME, specifically from the point where Rodolfo enters
("Donde lieta usci") - while Mimi and Rodolfo bid farewell to each other,
Marcello and Musetta are reunited.

S,S,Mez(or S),T,Bar
Act II of CARMEN, specifically the quintet for the smugglers, Carmen,
Mercedes, and Frasquita.

S,S(or Mez),S,T
Act III, Sc 1 of IDOMENEO, specifically the quartet beginning with
Idamante's "Andro ramingo e solo". Absolutely glorious!

S,S,Mez(or S),T,Bar
Act I, Sc 1 of DIE ZAUBERFLOETE - quintet for the 3 Ladies, Papageno, and
Tamino ("Hm! Hm! Hm! Hm!"); or the quintet in Act II, Sc 2 for the same
("Wie? Wie? Wie?")

S,S,S,T,Bar,Bar,Bas
Act III sextet from LE NOZZE DI FIGARO, for Susanna, Countess, Marcellina,
Figaro, Count Almaviva, Bartolo, and Don Curzio.

S,S,S
If you couldn't guess, it's the Act III trio at the end of DER
ROSENKAVALIER ("Hab' mir's gelobt") followed, optionally, by the final
Sophie/Octavian duet ("Spuer' nur dich").

S,S,T,T
Act II quartet for Belmonte, Pedrillo, Blondchen, and Konstanze from DIE
ENTFUEHRUNG AUS DEM SERAIL - great fun, with plenty of potential for
slapstick

S,Mez(or S),T,Bar,Bas
Act I Sc 2 of COSI FAN TUTTE, specifically two quintets, "Sento, a Dio"
(in which the two lovers procrastinate about taking on their roles as
"Albanians" while the women generally complain about the unfairness of
life) followed by "Di scrivermi ogni giorno" (in which the lovers bid
their girlfriends farewell).

S,S,T,Bas
Act I of FIDELIO, specifically the canon for Marzelline, Leonore, Jaquino,
and Rocco ("Mir ist so wunderbar").

S,S,T
Act II, Sc 1 of DER FREISCHUETZ, the trio for Max, Agathe, and Aennchen
("Wie? Was? Entsetzen!)

Finally, if you can possibly dig up another tenor, you could do the
absolutely delightful nonette from Act I, Sc. 2 of Verdi's FALSTAFF, for 2
sopranos, 2 mezzos, 3 tenors, 2 baritones, and a bass. A truly masterful
piece of comedic ensemble work, and musical genius.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
Es en balde, majo mio, que sigas hablando
porque hay cosas que contesto yo
siempre cantando:
Tra la la...
Por mas que preguntes tanto: