Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
"David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Mon Dec 25, 2000  6:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] This dam open throat technique

<<I still have an open throat when in the middle and at the bottom, but not
as open as
it is at the top. First of all, when I do this, I feel like I sound like a
fog horn. It totally covers my sound. She thinks that I sound louder when
do this. Perhaps I do, but it sounds muddy or clouded>>

Ken,

Have you tried taping yourself singing? If not, I would encourage you to do
so. The sound we hear, and the perceptions we get from our voice can be
deceiving at times. Try singing both ways into a recording device, then
listen to them with an open mind. It will either convince you that you are
right, or help you see the teachers point of view. From some of what you
said, it sounds as though you might be getting a static muscle
position...one that can cause tension. Freedom in the voice must be
paramount, IMHO. Try the taping, anyway, and let us know.

Sincerely,
David Grogan
ETBU Music

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7770 Re: This dam open throat technique Reg Boyle   Mon  12/25/2000   3 KB

emusic.com