Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sun Dec 24, 2000  8:04 pm
Subject:  SINGING VOWELS WITH THE TONGUE LOW

Hi, Listers

Someone asked here how to sing an EE with the tip of the tongue resting low in
the mouth. That was about 2 weeks ago, and I said Alan Greene, in his book "The
New Voice", had a 'recipe'. I've just found the book, but it's not exactly as I
had recalled it:

AH, as in fAr
A, as in thAt
AW, as in fOr
UH, as in bUt
OO, as in bOOK
OO, as in nOOn

The back of the tongue position for Ah, A, AW and UH are practically the same-
low and concave ( in fact, he uses a smile icon, but I can't reproduce it here
). There will be a very slight rise on the back of the tongue when you
articulate OO as in bOOk and OO as in nOOn.

EH, as in mEt
IH, as in hIt
EE, as in mEEt

The tongue action on these vowels is further forward than for OO as in nOOn. On
EH, the tongue is concave. On IH, the tongue rises slightlya bout 1 1/2 inches
back from the tip. On EE, that same area rises a little more.

Good luck, and don't sue me if you bite your tongue trying to do that.

Bye,

Caio Rossi