Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Susan Schneider" <smschneider@e...>
"Susan Schneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Thu Dec 21, 2000  9:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Good thoughts needed...

Hi, List,

These nasty coughs may be a symptom of tracheitis, an
inflammation/irritation of the trachea. I'm NOT A DOCTOR but I've had this
condition and it's maddening. The cords are OK, but you just can't stop
this awful dry coughing. It may be a bacterial infection, so you may need
an antibiotic; obviously, ask your doctor. Also ask for a good strong cough
suppressant like codeine, so the trachea is not further irritated by
coughing, thereby exacerbating the cough. Attack the infection and then
break the cycle of tickle/cough/irritate/tickle more/cough more and you'll
get better. This unproductive cough does you no good and is very stressful
on the vocal folds. It can cause vocal hemorrhages, among other things.

Susan Schneider

emusic.com