Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
"Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
Date:  Fri Dec 15, 2000  10:36 pm
Subject:  Re: Male head voice - vibratory pattern

Lloyd,

Thanks for your elaboration on vocal fold adjustment and
its relation to register changes.
I think you're probably right that vocal fold adjustments
are indeed a factor in register changes, besides resonance
adjustments. For the sake of correctness, I must therefore
admit that the expression 'exclusively determined by resonance
adjustments' is a simplification. It should have read 'are
predominantly determined by resonance adjustments'.

When I say that the pattern of vibration does not change from
male chest to male head voice, I am specifically referring to
the shape of the electroglottograph signal. In chest voice
as well as male head voice there is a large closed quotient
and there is the typical 'knee' shape. In falsetto and in
female middle and head voice the closed quotient is lower
and the 'knee' shape is not present.

When looking at the vocal folds more closely than can be
done with the EGG, I'm sure that one can detect more subtle
adjustments. I'm also sure that these adjustments are far more
complicated than just the 'classical' cricothyroid/vocalis
antagonism, so I think we should once and for all classify this
old model of registration as obsolete.

I would like to understand the findings of Titze a bit better.
Can you point me to an article of his that summarizes his
theory ?

I like this discussion too.

Have a nice weekend.

Wim Ritzerfeld

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7659 Re: Male head voice - vibratory pattern Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  12/16/2000   2 KB

emusic.com