Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sally Collyer <scol8413@m...>
Sally Collyer <scol8413@m...>
Date:  Fri Dec 15, 2000  9:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Male head voice - vibratory pattern

Dear Randy

>> I have for some time theorised whether the difference between head voice
and
>> falsetto is the presence of a mucosal wave due to differential tensions
>
>That's not the difference at all from my observations. Under stroboscopic
>exam, falsetto still shows a mucosal wave, the difference is medial
>compression. Falsetto has none.

My apologies for a very badly worded sentence that gave a wrong impression.
Emphasis was intended to be on the nature of the wave itself, rather than
presence or absence. However, having said that, I have observed
falsetto/head transitions that show a significant suppression, at times
total, of the wave. Moreover, my confident assertion that there is no
closure in falsetto 'has undergone review', shall we say, following a pile
of footage left merrily on my desk one morning. *sigh* I used to know so
much about the voice, and these days I know nothing. ;-D

Sally

emusic.com