Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Fri Dec 15, 2000  2:37 pm
Subject:  Pitch notation, was BAROQUE TENOR

At 01:43 PM 12/15/00 +0000, Martti Savijoki wrote:
>I did it, but no, it's not about any system. I was just mixing the
>"A"s... Actually our system in Finland goes like this (a1 is the
>american A4):
>...A2 (subcontra a), A1 (contra a), A (big a), a (small a), a1 (one.
>lined a), a2, a3, a4...

That system (or something very similar) is also still used in some
quarters in the US; it's what I was taught as an undergraduate student,
back in the dark ages, and I still run across it (one of my doctoral-level
theory teachers OK'd its use in my dissertation). It's not as common as
the other system anymore - many feel it's too piano-keyboard-centered - but
I like it....

Leslie, who gave her last final yesterday - Aural Skills I (mercy!)

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; Contralto
Dept. of Music, Southeast MO State Univ.
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7653 Re: Pitch notation, was BAROQUE TENOR dorisopran@a...   Fri  12/15/2000   2 KB