Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
"Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
Date:  Thu Dec 14, 2000  9:08 pm
Subject:  Re: BAROQUE TENOR

Dear Lloyd,

I am not questioning what you say in any way. The only thing
I'm saying is that the mode of oscillation / vibrational pattern
does not change as the folds get elongated in male head voice,
in fact the singer tries to prevent this from happening and
stays on one side of the line, so to speak. The transition
into falsetto cannot be other than abrupt, except in very
light voices and/or when singing pianissimo.

What this all comes down to is that the mode of oscillation is
apparently not exclusively determined by cricothyroid/vocalis
antagonism. In a soprano voice that goes downward in middle voice,
the folds become thicker and shorter, yet the mode of oscillation
is the 'light' one all the way. Only when entering chest voice,
the 'heavy' pattern abruptly appears, even though the transition
may be skillfully obscured by the singer.

These facts can be verified by watching the signals produced
by electroglottography (EGG). See also the example of the mezzo
singing in middle voice and chest voice on http://www.vocevista.com.

Wim Ritzerfeld

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, "Lloyd W. Hanson"
<lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote:
<lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote:
> Dear Wim and Vocalisters:
>
> Because the vocal folds have three basic layers (from medial
outward
> they are mucosal, vocal ligament, vocalis muscle) the use or
> interplay of these layers give rise to different modes of
oscillation.

> In chest voice all three layers are in oscillation, In head voice
> the vocalis muscles relax and the longitudinal tension on the vocal
> folds is sustained by the vocal ligament with primary oscillation
in
> the mucosal membrane and to some degree, the vocal ligament. What
> you describe as a gradual transition as the cricothyroid muscle
> stretches the thyroarytenoid muscles (also called vocalis muscles),
> must at some point make the transition from thyroarytenoid muscle
> activity to inactivity and vocal ligament activity. This
transition
> is the traditional passaggio and I have never found a voice that
did
> not have it.
>
> --
> Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA