Vocalist.org archive

From:  chosdad@c...
chosdad@c...
Date:  Thu Dec 14, 2000  1:22 am
Subject:  Re: BAROQUE TENOR

Dear List:

I want to try one more time to give a mapping between areas of the
male voice and the 3 phonational registers Prof. Lloyd Hanson has
described.

The following (taken from Richard Miller's book on Tenor Voices
but with my creative naming) would be for a smooth scale, although one
could take the various "registration areas" higher or lower; the
pitches would vary up or down by a few half steps or so for most male
voices (the following would be a lyric tenor):

below C3: "ultra low"
C3 to G3: "low"
G3 to C4: "lower middle"
C4 to G4: "upper middle"
G4 to C5: "lower upper"
C5+ : "upper upper"

Among the questions I (and others) have raised are:

1) Are there really only 3 phonational registers?
2) What is the proper mapping between the above vocal areas and the
purported 3 phonational registers?

I am in no position of authority to answer the first question.

As to the second question, I have offered two interpretations:

*** INTERPRETATION A ***
This is how I believe Prof. Hanson would make the mapping:

LOWER PHONATIONAL: ultra low, low, lower middle
MIDDLE PHONATIONAL: upper middle
UPPER PHONATIONAL: lower upper, upper upper

Note that for the female voice, take the above ranges roughly up an
octave, and you have a different mapping:

LOWER PHONATIONAL: ultra low, low
MIDDLE PHONATIONAL: lower middle, upper middle
UPPER PHONATIONAL: lower upper, upper upper

*** INTERPRETATION B ***
Here is another interpretation of the mapping for the male voice:

LOWER PHONATIONAL: ultra low, low, lower middle
MIDDLE PHONATIONAL: upper middle, lower upper
UPPER PHONATIONAL: not used by classical tenors and baritones

Hope this doesn't cause more confusion.

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7604 Re: BAROQUE TENOR Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  12/14/2000   6 KB
7607 Re: BAROQUE TENOR Wim Ritzerfeld   Thu  12/14/2000   3 KB
7627 Re: BAROQUE TENOR chosdad@c...   Thu  12/14/2000   2 KB
7630 Re: BAROQUE TENOR Wim Ritzerfeld   Thu  12/14/2000   2 KB
7631 Re: BAROQUE TENOR Tak Oda   Thu  12/14/2000   2 KB
7635 Re: BAROQUE TENOR Wim Ritzerfeld   Thu  12/14/2000   2 KB
7637 Re: BAROQUE TENOR Tak Oda   Thu  12/14/2000   2 KB
7628 Re: BAROQUE TENOR Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  12/14/2000   3 KB
7632 Re: BAROQUE TENOR Wim Ritzerfeld   Thu  12/14/2000   4 KB

emusic.com