Vocalist.org archive

From:  Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Lana Mountford <lana@a...>
Date:  Wed Dec 13, 2000  8:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: standing room tickets question

I was just in NYC in September (with a colleague from the office) for a week.
The
sole purpose of the trip was to take in as many shows as possible in 6 days.
Managed to get in 8 shows (list at end of message).

We stayed at a wonderful small-ish hotel just off Broadway on 48th (a Best
Western, no less -- reasonably priced considering the location), and took the
subway every morning to the TKTS office inside the World Trade Center, passing
up
the closer one on Broadway. The one at the WTC opens at 11:00am, earlier than
the
one in the theater district, which opens at 3:00pm, and the lines are usually
shorter; getting there before 10:00am guarantees a good place in line. The
kiosk
is indoors in the lobby of Bldg 2(?), a definite plus this time of year.

You won't know until you get there in person what shows are available -- they're
posted on a big board near the kiosk -- but we had very little trouble finding
*something* on our list of "must sees." Most shows are half-price -- not as
cheap
as SRO, but we had EXCELLENT seats for every show. Tickets are for the same day
evening performances, or next day matinee performances. CASH ONLY! No credit
cards accepted.

We flew in Saturday evening, and managed to take in:

Tony 'n' Tina's Wedding (Sunday matinee)
Annie Get Your Gun (Sunday evening)
Fosse (Monday evening)
Swing! (Tuesday evening)
Kiss Me Kate (Wednesday matinee)
Contact (Wednesday evening)
Aida (Thursday evening -- full price tickets, no half price available -- this is
the Elton John musical, and turned out to be the big surprise of the week for me
-- a WONDERFUL show)
La Traviata (Friday evening -- full price tickets)

before we left the following Saturday morning.

Cheers!

Lana

--
Explain it as we may, a martial strain will urge a man into the front rank of
battle sooner than an argument, and a fine anthem excite his devotion more

emusic.com