Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Sun Dec 10, 2000  8:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: why do women sing in head voice?

michael gordon wrote:

<< I think perhaps Mike mentioned that guys can take their chest up to G4
- I know what you mean but in strict terms I disagree. From my point
of view), I can't imagine taking "chest" up much above c4 (middle c)
unless it is going to be an unpleasant and strained tonal quality.>>

that is exctly what i meant. it is amazing how high and loud and how
easy you can sing when you don't care how it sounds. turning the 'jerry
lewis' like results into something likable is far easier when the cosmetics
are all you have to worry about. most singers begin by trying to make their
sound pleasant before trying to make it functional. once they get a sound
they like, then they try to make it functional and that's where they run into
all sorts of trouble. it is a little like starting with the paintjob when
building a house and then trying to sneak the lumber in afterwards.

<< I feel my voice needs to start feeling heady below middle C (around G3),
and by middle C I am in more of a mixed voice, with my top voice
starting around f4. >>

are you talking about the perception of resonance or the perception of
vocal fold behavior?

one more point, i make a distinction between 'speaking voice' and 'chest
voice'.

mike

emusic.com