Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Dec 10, 2000  2:42 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: why do women sing in head voice?

In a message dated 12/9/00 7:29:00 PM Central Standard Time,
bandb@n... writes:

> Which reminds me,
> I recently heard a famous female US singer drop into her lower register and
> sound so much like a tenor that I nearly collided with the car in front. In
> spite
> of her fame it seemed very obvious that the alteration of her tonal balance
> was not acceptable, but I'd imagine she'd have explained it as "chest
> voice."

The problem was not a lack of balance in the bottom note (chest) but a lack
of enough chest (thyroarytenoid activity) above it and most likely much less
medial compression. If the folds had the same proper adduction throughout,
there would not have been this flip flop. More chest on top would have most
likely balanced it out better.

Randy Buescher