Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Sat Dec 9, 2000  1:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: why do women sing in head voice?

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000 RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> one of the problems in discussing this topic is an agreement on terms.

> stefan zucker, 'freak of the universe'

Ah! FINALLY...something we can all agree on!

> whatever you call it, i say that the voice that daniels sings in and the
> voices simionato and troyanos sang in are the same, individual differences
> aside.

I disagree here. While Daniels was the first countertenor to apply an
operatic standard to his vocal type, that standard is still applied to a
falsetto quality. I will not begin to try and express this in scientific
terms; I'll leave that to Lloyd and Randy. Counting Steven Rickards and
David Walker among my friends, I have heard them sing many times; I've
heard David do Schubert, and I quote, 'in his real voice', though Steven
has never had any connection with 'his real voice', singing alto
throughout his high school chorus years in Daytona, FL. David, however,
does speak with a 'baritonal' quality.

> simionato would do a reverse yodel for the lowest notes

Yes, and why has God been so cruel as not to supply a singer who could
yodel in this manner in her repertoire since?

Oh, and mike, I, for one, find it very scary that as a self-professed
opera hater, you are familiar with singers that many voice teachers are
not. Are you sure you are not simply a professional devil's advocate? ;)

Best,

Mark Montgomery

emusic.com