Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sat Dec 9, 2000  4:59 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...?

In a message dated 12/8/00 10:40:18 PM Central Standard Time,
ibracamonte@y... writes:
ibracamonte@y... writes:

> Because, I still put forth, women's voices naturally
> fall into the head range. Some men's voices do, too
> (especially men with high ranges, like Tako, who reads
> to his kids in head to prevent strain). Hence,
> composers have been writing music for women that falls
> into the comfortable head range, for hundreds of
> years.

This is a gross oversimplification. It's not the chest voice that tires the
voice it's the manner in that they affect it to sound more powerful or
masculine that causes excess pressure. Plenty of women speak in chest and
never have problems, it's the hyperfunction that causes the problem

Randy Buescher