Vocalist.org archive

From:  Shanna Hollich <Shadow123@r...>
Shanna Hollich <Shadow123@r...>
Date:  Fri Dec 8, 2000  10:53 pm
Subject:  head/chest voice; was: why do women...?

--- Leslie Jones <LJones@s...> wrote:
> Just as
> each *person* is different, I think each *voice* is
> different, with its own
> special abilities and potentials.

On a semi-different tangent, I always found something
particularly interesting. I often hear anecdotes
about how females have problems "finding" their head
voice, after many years of speaking in chest voice and
imitating various pop singers who tend to use chest
voice. In my high school chorus, I hear other girls
in my section (I'm an alto) who just can't hit notes
above, say, a B4 or a C5 because they simply can't
push their chest voice up any higher. (It makes me
wonder if some of these girls wouldn't be sopranos if
they'd only use their head voice, but that's
a-whole-nother story.)

Anyway, to get back on the topic of how each
person/voice is unique, I find the above situation
perplexing, simply because I never had that problem.
I always spoke in chest voice (still do), but could
always sing in chest voice, head voice, or a nice mix.
I hear of people who have problems developing a mix
to connect their chest/head voices, but I never had
that problem either; it just came natural. I didn't
even know that I was technically using a mix until I
joined this list, heh.

Just an amusing little anecdote about how we truly are
all individuals, :). Now back to your regularly
scheduled program.

=====
Shanna Hollich - Shadow123@p...
AOL IM: RHFoJO
shadow123.diaryland.com
NO S N B- C~ L- O++ CV

7477 Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...? Jennifer   Sat  12/9/2000   3 KB
7480 Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...? Isabelle Bracamonte   Sat  12/9/2000   3 KB
7524 Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...? John Alexander Blyth   Mon  12/11/2000   2 KB
7481 Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...? Mezzoid@a...   Sat  12/9/2000   2 KB
7491 Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...? Lloyd W. Hanson   Sat  12/9/2000   4 KB
7483 Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...? buzzcen@a...   Sat  12/9/2000   2 KB
7484 Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...? mikebarb@n...   Sat  12/9/2000   3 KB
7486 Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...? RALUCOB@a...   Sat  12/9/2000   2 KB
7494 Re: head/chest voice; was: why do women...? gwyee@r...   Sat  12/9/2000   3 KB