Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Fri Dec 8, 2000  3:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] vocal registers:

Dre wrote:

> As always, Lloyd is right. But in my own tenoral experience there is a big
difference between a well supported and an unsupported or weakly supported
(tenor) head voice. It is the support (with vowel modification, for many
vowels) that enables the tenor to make the head voice sound like the chest
voice, that enables him to sing an even sounding scale from C4 to C5 that is
loud enough.

and I wrote:

"Anyway, my 2nd passagio point is at a4 ( I think I can go one or two notes
higher, but I can never
do it when people are listening to me."

I'm not sure what I wrote makes sense anymore! I always get confused with
our different systems: I meant to say that my upper limit in what I and my
teachers call head voice is LA4 ( I think your a5, right? ). My
falsetto-like voice can apparently go higher than that, but I've never
checked that on a piano ( that's what I'll try to do with my teacher next
class ). I had a teacher who refused to consider me as a tenor, since I
couldn't get to our Do4 ( your c5? ), but all my other teachers say that,
regardless of range, I can reach those higher notes much more easily than
lower ones, and that I have a tenor timbre ( BTW, lighter than expected ).

Anyway, I had noticed that when I use more air to reach those higher notes
it's actually not as light, but it's still lighter than usual AND heavier on
my vocal cords later. As I've always read head voices require less air, I've
always thought I was doing what should be done.

Best regards,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com