Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Susan Schneider" <smschneider@e...>
"Susan Schneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Fri Dec 8, 2000  1:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: vocal registers: was: Re: BAROQUE TENOR

Lloyd wrote:

> I would add, however, that not all of opera training encourages this
> low extension of the head quality such that the chest voice is
> discouraged.

Absolutely. I would never consider studying with a teacher who teaches a
head-only approach. In my own experience, the two voice teachers with whom
I've studied in the last 20 years (Shirlee Emmons and Cornelius Reid)
concern themselves very seriously with teaching women how to use their chest
voice. To my ear, IMHO, head-voice only singing is boring and colorless.

More important is how it feels. I worked with a vocal therapist for a time,
after complications from surgery, who taught me to sing only in head and it
was loathesome. Color, volume and endurance were nil. This truly was more a
result of the heady approach than the complications alone caused. Now,
since I finally feel like I've got my entire voice working again, I love to
sing again. I love the way it feels and I love the variety of colors I can
achieve. I can fill a hall and carry over an orchestra again. :-D (Happy
soprano emoticon)

Susan Schneider

emusic.com