Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Fri Dec 8, 2000  2:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] why do women sing in head voice?

isabelle wrote:

<<
> So, mike, I dispute the idea that women "naturally"
> speak and ought to sing in chest voice. I think it's
> just a 20th-century thing, imposed by cultural ideas,
> and that the "ideal" women's voice wasn't supposed to
> be either strong or low in the past centuries... so it
> was allowed to be heady, its natural state.

and tako added:

Now I agree with you here that we shouldn't limit ourselves to our
speaking registers. That's going a little far, IMO. Still, Mike has a
point that we should remember from whence some of our treasured cultural
biases come. >>

isabelle,

all kids yell and talk in chest voice. the heady mix you refer to i
believe comes later depending on the nature of the gender roles presented to
the child. ('the sun'll come up tomorrow, bet your bot...' heady mix? or
does that have to be taught?).

to all,

the whole point of my tirade was not to call what most operatic females
do head voice when it is falsetto. i love david daniels but, i'm not going
to call that head voice. i am going to call that falsetto. and i'm not
going to call that same general sound in women head voice. actually, i
don't care what you call it as long as you call it the same thing.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7457 Re: why do women sing in head voice? Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  12/8/2000   4 KB

emusic.com