Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Date:  Fri Dec 8, 2000  1:44 am
Subject:  [vocalist-temporary] Echinacea - was throatache

Dear List,

In message <Pine.SV4.3.96.1001207135342.14642F-
100000@s...>, Karen Mercedes <100000@s...>, Karen Mercedes <100000@s...>, Karen Mercedes < >an infection - this means you have to start taking the echinacea BEFORE
>you get ill. It doesn't do much good once you're infected.

That's interesting - I personally find it often works if I take it as
soon as I feel ill. This has happened with a few of my students as well.
I've also read, in an article in a health magazine, that it should not
be taken regularly for more than a fortnight, as the immune system
gradually gets used to it and gets lazy. No idea if this is true, I'm
just sharing what I've read.

>I've found that the combination of echinacea and astragalus (another
>immune-system stimulating herb) works even better than echinacea alone.
>When I'm in "prevention" mode, I take 2 echinacea caplets and 1 astragalus
>capsule with every meal. While everyone I know seems to have come down
>with the "crud", I've remained blithely healthy.

I use it in liquid form - I don't know if that would make a difference
to its effectiveness. (Sorry, but what's a caplet - presumably not the
same as a capsule!) I buy it in a bottle with a dropper, and the
instructions are to take some drops in a little water. Different brands
suggest different quantities, but the one thing they have in common is
that they all taste uniformly vile, even diluted - at least the Scottish
varieties of echinacea do.

But this summer I was in northern Italy, without my echinacea, and
feeling fragile. I went into a farmacia and bought a bottle of Italian
echinacea, and - guess what? - it tastes wonderful! Presumably because
Italians use better quality alcohol as a base.

I haven't come across astragalus; I must check it out.

>Another thing that I started doing when I last had a nasty upper
>respiratory infection (pre-echinacea/astragalus) that I've continued, is
>to sleep with my head markedly elevated above my chest.

I also find this way of sleeping useful for hiatus hernia.

Regards to all, Sheila

Sheila Graham
Mezzo-soprano, Edinburgh, Scotland
www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk

'She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything' (Bellini)

emusic.com