Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Fri Dec 8, 2000  12:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] METAL

Hi Caio,

Well, one little exercise I give some students who
want a bit more bite in the sound goes thuswise:

Make a sound like a creaky door, the sort of sound
you'd get in a Hammer House of Horror movie. Or the
evil witch in a pantomime, that sort of thing. Make
the nastiest, thinest sound imaginable and sing in a
comfortable part of your range a straight arpeggio,
let's say from C - C taking in E and G and down again.
When you get up to the C, hang around a bit, and with
this horrid edgy sound, start to fill the note with
your more usual sound, but not losing the pingyness of
the witchey-poo voice!! I don't like to think of
'placement' or rather, don't like to use that word,
but if you want to 'imagine' it behind your eyes at
the top of your nose, then feel free so to do!!

I've found that students who practised this found a
big, vibrant, ringing sound, which, apart from the
fact it gave them pleasure to make such a sound, it
was also a vast improvement.

I'd be interested to know if you try it, what you
think. Remember, ugly, ugly sound first though!! By
the way, that's the only time I would have anybody
make an ugly sound!!!

Best wishes,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!