Vocalist.org archive

From:  cantare@p...
cantare@p...
Date:  Thu Dec 7, 2000  8:19 pm
Subject:  Re: why do women sing in head voice?

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, > is easier on the voice, and he sometimes encourages people to
> develop that habit to lighten the load on their vocal cords.
> He says his natural voice is baritone, as is true of many ct's.
> However, he has tried to cultivate a higher speaking voice which
> for reasons stated.

Hmmm - I have been working on not letting my larynx rise as I sing
higher, and I have been letting myself get "normalized" to this more
relaxed feeling in my throat by doing the same when I'm talking. Is
this an okay thing to do? My voice sounds lower when I do this. My
voice sounds higher when my larynx rises (i.e., talking to the cats,
etc.) I don't think I'm talking in a straight chest voice, but I know
I don't have that "wooooo" dramatic-diva voice, which is what I
associate with people who talk in their head voice all the time. I
guess I'm questioning if "higher" is necessarily "healthier" - what
are the mechanics of speaking in a healthy tone?

Thanks,
Karena

emusic.com