Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Dec 7, 2000  5:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: vocal registers: was: Re: BAROQUE TENOR

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 Domisosing@a... wrote:
> If the definition of falsetto is the loss of medial compression with only
> the epithelium or mucosal layer vibrating.........is it a mode of vibration
> that can occur at any pitch??? or can it only happen at a higher frequency
> because of the thinning and lengthening of the cords.............
> Mary Beth Felker

My guess is that falsetto can go pretty low, but that the volume drops
drastically with pitch (like a rubber band), since breath pressure and
pitch are "locked" variables. Since by definition there is very little
resistance in the folds, breath pressure determines pitch in falsetto,
leaving no other counteractive variable to control dynamics.

Anyway, I'm saying this about falsetto because I once knew a bass who had
a falsetto that went from A2(!) to about G4 - talk about a useless
register! It was definitely not any sort of head voice.

Tako

emusic.com