Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Dec 7, 2000  5:08 pm
Subject:  Falsetto for Tenors

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Lloyd W. Hanson wrote:

> The falsetto voice lies in about the same basic range for most male
> voices, give or take a few notes top or bottom. This basic range
> coincides with the range of the tenor head voice and the top of their
> chest voice, consequently, many tenors seldom use the falsetto voice
> nor have any need of discovering it. But tenors can be taught to
> sing in falsetto. I learned it at age 40.
>
> Basses and baritones are usually more comfortable with falsetto
> because it is a range that is mostly separated from their chest voice
> by a note or more.

That makes a lot of sense... why would anyone learn falsetto when they
could sing the notes in head voice? So is there a physiological reason
women can't do it then? I can imagine that maybe there is a neurological
reason, but isn't a woman's larynx essentially the same as a man's
physically, just 30-40% or so smaller?

Tako

emusic.com