Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Dec 5, 2000  5:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] tongue problems

In a message dated 12/5/00 11:26:18 AM Central Standard Time,
deanmacy@m... writes:
deanmacy@m... writes:

> Nay, nay. [I] is the IPA symbol for the SOUND of the spoken "ee" as defined
> by the British.
>
> It's a whole new ballgame when SINGING vowels.
>
> And children don't care to know about how to represent phonetics. Neither
> do
> I anymore.

That may be so as the registers change but not it the chest voice where the
vowels are produced as in speech. The attempt to alter these postures is a
big cause of confusion and tension and is severely misguided.

As far as /i/ being the sound of ee produced by the British, where did you
get that. It is the INTERNATIONAL PHONETIC ALPHABET after all and is a
system to transcribe phonemes regardless of origin.

Randy Buescher