Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Mon Dec 4, 2000  3:48 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Want to see something really scary?

Hi!
I'm a few days behind again....

Boy, and our friends tease us because we like the ORIGINAL "Young
Messiah" done by contemporary Christian artists in 1990. Basically, they
beef up the orchestra parts with rock instruments & a real choir sings
most of the choruses on the recording. Our favorite rendition is the
addition of the screaming rock guitar on "Surely He has Borne our
Griefs".

We have mixed reviews on the soloists. Best one is "Comfort Ye" by
Matthew Ward (the brother in the 2nd Chapter of Acts) & enjoy the jazz
trio by First Call on "Every Valley..." (sorry, Tenors!).

Pat

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:57:36 -0500 "Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
writes:
> On Wednesday, Dec. 20 at 9:30pm EST, our public television station is
> broadcasting "Messiah XXI for a New Millennium". The blurb says that
> it
> "gives Handel's choral masterpiece an exciting modern interpretation
> incorporating gospel, rock and soul music sung by international
> superstars
> Gladys Knight, Jeffrey Osborne, Roger Daltrey and Chaka Khan. Aidan
> Quinn
> narrates".
>
> I know I'll be tuning in, but mostly because I really dig Chaka Khan
> and
> I've been longing for her classical debut. Chaka! Chaka! Chaka! I'm
> hoping
> she'll be growling her way through "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth"
> although
> I can also just hear her doing the alternate version of "But Who May
> Abide/Refiner's Fire". I see Gladys doing "O Thou That Tellest" and
> the
> "covered in spit" one (sorry! too tired to look it up!).
>
> Jeffrey Osborne and Roger Daltrey's aria selections I'm up in the
> air on.
> Who gets "Comfort Ye"?

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!