Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Dec 4, 2000  7:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Cleo Laine (was Rhythm problems - what do you do?)

I had the pleasure of hearing Dame Cleo at the Mann Music Center in
Philadelphia c. 1985, with her husband John Dankworth and about 1/3 of the
Philadelphia Orchestra. She was glorious, extraordinary and lots of fun.

As far as I know, her last appearance in the USA was in a supporting part in
an HBO film, "The Last of the Blonde Bombshells." (It stars my hero Dame
Judi Dench.) I recommend it to any and all cable-TV slugs as a VCR keeper.

Liz

>From: Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
>From: Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
>Goodness Gracious!!!
>
>I'm amazed that you hadn't heard of Cleo (now Dame)
>Laine before!!! She's been at the top of her tree for
>about fourty years both in the UK, and she has a huge
>following in the US too!!
>
>Extraordinary vocalist, wonderful musician, and yep, a
>star!!
>
>Best wishes,
>

>Ian

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...

"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

_____