Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
"Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
Date:  Mon Dec 4, 2000  3:17 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Non-vocal vocal exercises??

Denis wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone on the list knows of any non-vocal or, shall I
>say, inaudible exercises one can do to keep the vocal equipment limber to a
>point or the muscles involved?

Well, not totally inaudible, but maybe you can get away with some really
quiet exercises: "vocalization" exercises throughout your range including
tongue trills, lip trills, voiced "raspberries" (combining tongue and lip
trills), humming, breathing exercises including long, slow exhalation on
"sss", long, slow panting, and short, fast panting. These will at least let
you use the voice and the breathing muscles enough to keep them from going
on vacation.

Robin Lynne Frye
Mezzo-Soprano
Voice and Piano Teacher