Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Date:  Mon Dec 4, 2000  2:37 am
Subject:  re: purity of expression

Quoting Lloyd & mike:

><<
> And such acting will inform the singer more naturally how to color the voice
> for emotional innuendo>>
>
>lloyd, i would go one step further to say that if the singer will make the
>point their character is trying to make, as if they themselves ARE that
>character, they don't have to color their voice, it will be colored for them
>by their own reaction to being involved in what they have to say.

Yes, gentlemen, this is precisely my approach as well! I often find that
the most successful "colors" in my singing are those that arise from the
intention of the text, rather than those I attempt to "find". I like the
moments when my coach says, "Yes! That was the color! What did you do?"
and I say, "Well, I just did my objective." It's that simple...and that
complicated.

Fantastic topic; thank you all!

Naomi

emusic.com