Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Mon Dec 4, 2000  1:27 am
Subject:  Re: purity of expression

Mike:

Thanks for your comments. I realized that what I wrote might be taken to
mean that just singing the notes and making clear the text was all I
considered necessary for a good opera performance. That is far from what I
meant and I think you recognized that.

I expect all of the above and with that I look for "organic" acting, that
is, acting that grows out of the singers and directors understanding of a
role. This process tends to create an acting that, although technically
secure, still meets the "Areeba" protocol (Authentic, Real and Believable).

And such acting will inform the singer more naturally how to color the voice
for emotional innuendo. Because it is "organic", that is, comes from the
singers emotional understanding, it will speak volumes, if the listener
will allow such subtleties to be noticed. I am afraid that many listeners
today expect to be overwhelmed at every emotional moment. They expect the
music to come to them with force rather than they going to the music with a
quiet mind.

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA