Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Dec 3, 2000  4:05 pm
Subject:  Re: Non-vocal vocal exercises??

Dear Denis and Vocalisters:

This is a vocal, vocal exercises but it can be used in any slightly out of
the way place and, surprisingly, allows a full use of the singing voice.

Wrap a folded, clean handkerchief around your first finger between the thumb
and the first finger. Place the thumb side of the first finger agains your
lips so that there are many layers of handkerchief between your lips and
your first finger. Sing into this with any vowel exercise you tend to use.
You will get a back pressure as your breath passes through the
handkerchief which allows the vocal folds to vibrate at near their normal
manner but the amount of sound that is transmitted into the area
surrounding you is minimal. I have known singers who use this device
backstage before going on, to check the voices.

When you find ourself in a place where you dare to be heard, do it again and
take away the hand from the lips. You will be surprised at loudly you are
singing behind the handkerchief.

This will also work with a quality paper towel such as the "Viva" brand. I
keep a roll of "Viva" in my studio to teach this device to my students. It
is very helpful to get students, especially males, into their head voice
more easily.

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA