Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sat Dec 2, 2000  10:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Spectral analysis

RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> do you use spectral analysis in lessons where the student sees the
> analysis right away? if you don't, isn't that a missed oppurtunity or, is
> that just too much of a pain in the butt?

Hi Mike,

I find that most students are easily distracted by watching the monitor all the
time during a lesson. I've also found that the quickest progress is made when
the student can see exactly what is happening as it's happening. So what
usually
occurs is that we become aware of a problem, either I see it on the screen, or
most commonly I hear it in the student's voice (I can't watch the monitor, the
student and play the piano at the same time ;-D), and then we stop and isolate
the problem watching the analysis unfold on the monitor. This way there is
immediate feedback both visual and aural as to the efficiency of the changes
being made. I then encourage the student to NOT use the monitor as quickly as
possible so that they learn the kinesthetic sensations involved in singing the
corrected way. I do keep watching and listening as the new way becomes habitual
to make sure that no new bad habits develop and that the previous bad habit
doesn't reappear.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC