Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Guardians" <elflein@m...>
"Guardians" <elflein@m...>
Date:  Sat Dec 2, 2000  4:56 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Finding a teacher in NYC

<< I've just witnessed
teachers who do the opposite, often in public, and somehow are thought of
with g*dlike reverence.>>

I agree with you there...if a teacher has to denigrate a student in public,
that shows a lack of professionalism on the part of the teacher. Positive
reinforcement, is the best, I agree...but I also have to be able to have a
good enough relationship with the student in private, to be able to say
"that was TERRIBLE!" when it is...and not have the student crumple. Better
they hear it from me (and they know it before I say it anyway) then to go
out in front of an audience, and make total fools of themselves.
Actually, I don't think I've ever told a student they were terrible, now
that I think about it. They usually tell ME..and I agree with them! LOL!
Singing, if a student intends to do it solo, is not for the faint-hearted in
any case. They better have a good, strong ego. They can gain that with
proper instruction, which leads to self-confidence.

Harmoniously Yours

M. Gabrielle Ludwig, Ph.D
City of Zion Music

emusic.com