Vocalist.org archive

From:  R.L.Frye@w...
R.L.Frye@w...
Date:  Fri Dec 1, 2000  10:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Today's posts - miscellaneous

Isabelle wrote:

> Robin: Is the back of your nose (velar port, I think)
> closed or open when you use nasal resonance without
> nasality? I hadn't thought it was possible to leave
> the nasal-air-passage open while singing and avoid a
> nasal sound.

Yes, the velar port is what opens to let air through the
nose. This opening, and the amount of air that travels
through it, can be controlled. I believe that the
optimal setup is to have this port very slightly open,
with just a very small amount of air allowed through,
and to have the soft palate raised enough that it allows
a rounder, lusher sound and yet is not forced up so high
that it closes off the velar port. As with so many
things in singing, it is a matter of degree and
balance. If you try to "talk through your nose", you
will find that you can alter the degree of nasality that
is present. So it is with singing. You can add just a
bit of brightness and ring, while simultaneously taking
a bit of breath pressure off of the vocal folds in
difficult spots such as passaggio, by using the
slightest bit of air through the nose. If I could
demonstrate this for you, you would hear a pleasing
increase in ring, but you would not call the sound
a "nasal" sound.

Gotta run -

Robin Lynne Frye
Mezzo-Soprano