Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Fri Dec 1, 2000  9:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TEACHING METHODS

In a message dated 12/01/2000 4:18:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
caioross@z... writes:
caioross@z... writes:

> imagine a room full of voice scientists. they are presented with a
> > number of spectral readings of voices they know well by sound of the same
> > general catagory but of whose voices they have not seen spectral
analyses.
> > mixed in with these readings are readings of other singers they do not
> know.
> > do you think these people would be able to identify the readings of the
> > voices they know?

Hey Mike,
This is an interesting anecdote as it relates to SPeech Language
Pathology. Therapists HAVE actually started using spectral analysis on
patients who have difficulties with pronouncing r's. If all other
methodologies have failed the child is given a microphone and encouraged to
"mess around" with their voice until they can make the proper formant
transition rise or fall ( I forget which way the r would go, probably depends
on the vowels before and after the consonant) as they are watching the read
out of the spectogram. This has actually shown to be quite effective in
therapies because it gives the child a different approach or learning
mechanism to make the needed changes in the voice.
Just another way that science can be used effectively as a
therapeutic/rehabilitative tool.
Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com