Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Fri Dec 1, 2000  2:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Schubert: Schwanengesang

There is also a 'middle' Peters edition which has probably been cheaply
adapted by Presser etc. That's what I'll use when I get around to the
cycle. The high version does have a fairly high tessitura (it's the
original, by the way) with some high As (nothing higher). You could try
what I did with "Winterreise" - I really worked all the details of one of
the songs and applied what I had learned to the others - once you get used
to something and know when to shift gears the high tessitura isn't so hard,
especially if you are really a soprano anyway (are you?). john

At 11:57 PM 11/30/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>I need your assistance yet again! I'm going to be learning
>Schubert's Schwanengesang, and I'm wondering what key I should learn
>it in (the 'high' or 'low'). I already have a copy of the 'low'
>version, and think parts of it are too low-lying for me (at this
>point I would call myself a mezzo---I don't have those ridiculously
>high notes that only dogs can hear!). Is the high version raised a
>3rd? Thought I'd check with you before spending any more money!
>
>As always, much thanks to all who respond.
>
>---Kate

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada