Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Dec 1, 2000  5:07 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TEACHING METHODS WAS:Breathing question

In a message dated 11/30/2000 6:43:25 PM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< Basically the soft palate is not under very direct control. If you
place a clean finger into the mouth and touch the soft palate at the
upper back of the mouth and while touching it, take a breath through
the mouth, the soft palate will raise away from your finger. >>

That's something I have my students do at their first lesson - I tell them
that the soft palate's function is to sense "Incoming! Possible food
approaching, quick, close off the nose so that nothing goes in!" and what the
applications of this function is for singing ... my introductory lesson
outlines my belief that to sing with the most efficiency, we need to
coordinate (not manipulate!) our natural functions to their best advantage.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com