Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Dec 1, 2000  4:49 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] TEACHING METHODS WAS:Breathing question

In a message dated 11/30/00 6:43:23 PM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Basically the soft palate is not under very direct control. If you
> place a clean finger into the mouth and touch the soft palate at the
> upper back of the mouth and while touching it, take a breath through
> the mouth, the soft palate will raise away from your finger. But if
> you do not take a breath and try to consciously raise the soft palate
> it will only become tense but it will not raise appreciably. It is
> primarily through particular actions that the soft palate raises.
> These actions include inhalation, surprise, pressurized consonants
> such as /t, d, p, b, k, g, f, v/ and even /s/ and /z/. and others
> that one can imagine.

The fixation on raising the soft palate has always been one of the most
confounding and humorous things I hear singers and voice teachers advocate.
If the sound is not nasal, the soft palate is raised, no ifs ands or buts
about it. To focus on it beyond that will only induce tension.

Randy Buescher