Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Nov 30, 2000  8:15 pm
Subject:  Re: songs by women composers

Judith Weir actually has a one-woman opera, if you're feeling ambitious! I
*believe* it's scored for soprano, but my friend who is a lyric mezzo has done
it.

She also has a bunch of other operas too, with quite a number of arias, though I
can't think of any for contralto off the top of my head...

I agree, she's really great and writes singer-friendly music.

Tak

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 Mezzoid@a... wrote:

> In a message dated 11/30/2000 2:08:16 PM Central Standard Time,
> omigurt@s... writes:
>
> << Judith Weir - famous Scottish composer
> >>

> Just sang a choral piece by her (All the Ends of the Earth - North American
> premiere given 11/19 by the all-female, professional chamber ensemble
> Milwaukee Choral Artists, UWM Choirs and Present Music, a contemporary music
> ensemble based here). Great piece. I'd like to know about her solo rep.
>
> Christine Thomas
> Wauwatosa, WI
> <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
> http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>
>
> "I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com