Vocalist.org archive

From:  R.L.Frye@w...
R.L.Frye@w...
Date:  Thu Nov 30, 2000  6:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] PRIVATE PRIVATE PRIVATE PRIVATE PRIVATE PRIVATE PRIVATE

Marthea wrote:

<< mike, living dangerously again (still) wrote: "robin
frye (R. L. Frye) is
chicken" >>

and Mike wrote:

> i never said any such thing however, robin i would
prefer that we
continue to discuss the issue before agreeing to disagree

and also:

>marthea <SNIP> that was sent privately to you

<TEE HEE!> You guys crack me up. Here I thought I was
being diplomatic. Oh well, into the fray. ;-)

Stated as succintly as I can, I am not a fan of using
chest voice as high as Mike was suggesting it should be
used. When that much vocal cord mass is engaged that
high in the range, the only way to phonate is to force
higher air pressure through the cords, which is
inherently unhealthy. I am all in favor of allowing for
different styles of singing and the corresponding
technical adjustments that must be made in order for
someone singing "Barbra" songs not to sound as if they
thought they were singing an operatic aria, but I
maintain that vocal health does not have to be
sacrificed for either style. Classical singing will use
pure head voice and a chest/head mix lower than some
other styles, but there is an upper limit (again, the
specific pitch will depend on the fach) beyond which no
singer should be singing in chest voice.

Hoping this thread will go away now,

Robin Lynne Frye
Mezzo-Soprano
Voice and Piano Teacher