Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mike & Vicki Bryant <mbryant@f...>
Mike & Vicki Bryant <mbryant@f...>
Date:  Thu Nov 30, 2000  3:46 pm
Subject:  Re: songs by women composers

Leslie Jones wrote:

vtec> Vicki, your upcoming gigs all sound wonderful, and this one has me
vtec> especially intrigued, as I'm mulling over a possible recital of music by
vtec> women composers before too long. What's on your program? And to Karen
and
vtec> other repertoire-divas -- do you have any good suggestions for such a
vtec> program (probably not at Christmas-time, alas)? Especially that are
vtec> suitable (and available) for low voice and/or easily transposable?
Thanks!

Hi, Leslie and vocalisters,

If fellow vocalister Pat Smith reads this thread (which I know she
will), she can give you our whole program. My pieces include:

"Reflets" by Lili Boulanger (part of a 4 part song cycle written for
medium voice).

"Dansons la gigue" by Poldowski (pen name for Irene Wieniawska
Dean-Paul). Also in a medium key, but you can find it in a low key,
too.

"Sweet Holy Child" - this is one of the Christmas pieces - by Mary
Elizabeth Caldwell

"Breath of Heaven" - Amy Grant (another Christmas piece). We're being
eclectic here!

"Winter" by Kathryn Palmer (composer from St. Charles, IL). This
piece was written for us; it is for soprano, mezzo-soprano, clarinet,
and piano. World premier on December 21, 2000!

In previous recitals, I've done other pieces by Poldowski, pieces by
Pauline Viardot and Maria Malabran, and a piece about Joan of Arc by
Elizabeth Vercoe. Future endeavors include learning the rest of the
Lili Boulanger cycle and also checking out some pieces by her sister
Nadia. (You might notice a French theme!)

Hope that helps. I am a mezzo-soprano; some of this might lie low
enough for you to be comfortable, although the Lili Boulanger pieces
might not. (Most of the pieces she wrote were for soprano). Happy
hunting!

Vicki Bryant

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7122 Re: songs by women composers Naomi Gurt Lind   Thu  11/30/2000   2 KB
7124 Re: songs by women composers Mezzoid@a...   Thu  11/30/2000   2 KB
7125 Re: songs by women composers Tako Oda   Thu  11/30/2000   3 KB
7134 Re: songs by women composers DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTM   Thu  11/30/2000   2 KB
7160 Re: songs by women composers Marjorie Bunday   Fri  12/1/2000   3 KB
7210 Re: songs by women composers Leslie Jones   Sat  12/2/2000   2 KB
7238 Re: songs by women composers Patricia M Smith   Sat  12/2/2000   4 KB

emusic.com