Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Thu Nov 30, 2000  6:08 am
Subject:  Re: (unknown)

Hello Wah and Vocalisters:

I seriously question the conclusion that a view of the vocal folds will
enable a precise and therefore accurate determination of the correct vocal
range or category for a singer. Although I am most interested in the
information made obtained with the kinds of body scans that are now
becoming available, it is extremely simplistic to assume that vocal fold
lengths can be categorized to determine vocal ranges with any degree of
finite accuracy. General assumptions can be made such as basses have
longer and thicker vocal folds than tenors but any kind of subdivision
beyond that general characterization is not likely to be possible.

Nor, is it necessary. It is not difficult to determine the general vocal
category of a singer after a few lessons as long as that category is kept
general. Dividing female or male voices beyond the general categories of
high, medium and low is not necessary until the student develops enough
basic technique to sing a consistent quality of tone in a lyric phrase.
All voice categories must learn to sing in all of their registers
regardless of where those register lie. It is the location of passaggi
(registers) that determine more than anything else the vocal category that
the singers voice will finally achieve.

It is true that very often the ambitions of a voice teacher or the student
will lead them to attempt performances of music that is ill suited for the
voice. This is more a reflection of desire than reality.

It is also not uncommon for a voice to be placed into a heavier vocal
category because the tonal color of the voice is richer than the other
voices in a studio or a school. This is simply a lack of perspective on
the part of the teacher or the student because they have not had enough
experience with professional voices to make accurate comparisons possible.

All of these mistakes can be avoided if the teacher and student will resist
early categorization of a voice as long as possible. Providing music that
will sound good in the voice and is achievable while the student acquires
his/her basic technique is the best manner of allowing the voice to find
its own category. The quality of tone produced by a young singer is the
least reliable indicator of vocal category.

I cannot tell you how often I have taught small voices which became large
voices as their technique developed. I no longer think it is even mildly
possible to determine vocal categories when hearing young singers. I even
question the viability of determining the potential of a voice in a young
singer. I have observed too many average voices become superior voices as
they continue diligent study with their teachers.

It must be kept in mind that much of the research in this area of vocal fold
length has been done with speaking voices, not singers. Researchers are
not necessarily familiar with the register phenomena that is a part of
every singers experience. Use of a true head voice or high voice is often
considered as a potentially pathological condition by many speech
scientists yet it is an essential part of the training of the singer.

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy