Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
"Robin L. Frye" <R.L.Frye@w...>
Date:  Thu Nov 30, 2000  6:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: Scratchy

>mike wrote: how far down does she take her head voice? does she use it
>below Bb above middle C?

Please don't tell me that you mean to say you think she should be using only
chest voice from nearly an octave above middle C down?

I hope you would agree that head voice should predominate through most of
that octave, gradually mixing in with chest voice, until chest voice
predominates, and then she is in full chest voice on her lowest notes.
Exactly where those changes take place depends on her fach.

I don't know what is causing her "scratchiness" without hearing and watching
her, but taking chest voice too high will only exacerbate that problem.

Robin Lynne Frye
Mezzo-soprano
Voice and Piano Teacher
New York, New York