Vocalist.org archive

From:  egroups@c...
egroups@c...
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  7:08 pm
Subject:  Re: Choralist structure and organization (in response to a suggestion )

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Paul Sinasohn <vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Paul Sinasohn < > Choralist used to be hosted at Univ. of Colorado,

Actually it is *still* hosted there, along with ChoralTalk and
ChoralAcademe. The rest of our resources are operated on our own Web
server, at www.choralnet.org

> though the main driver is
> a professor at the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology.

His name is James Feiszli, and he is now the President of ChoralNet,
Inc., and I'm the Manager.

> The
> list/web manager is at one of the universities in Arizona.

Not really. I *was* a grad student at ASU but now I manage ChoralNet
half-time, direct music at Los Arcos United Methodist Church
(www.losarcos.org), and have a small Web Design business
(www.hypercreations.com)

> Though I can't speak for the ChoralNet organization, they might be
amenable
> to hosting Vocalist.

We've considered it, but given the resistance of some of the current
members to our type of moderation and oversight, I doubt if that
would be all that well received (David and Lynn specifically stated
that they didn't appreciate our methods).

Vocalist is also slightly off-track in terms of our mission. I think
that it much more logical for an organization such as NATS or other
orgs devoted more specifically to vocal pedagogy to support and/or
host something like this.

Also, we're not yet set up to host active e-mail lists on our own
server, so my recommendation, if you're looking at alternatives,
would be to check to see what Marko's plans currently are (has anyone
heard from him lately?), and/or to see if someone at a University
might be able to establish a free, more permanent home for Vocalist.
Or contact NATS, or stay here (although I hear that some "old-timers"
are bailing out, given current conditions...).

Good Luck!

David Topping
Manager, ChoralNet Inc.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
7037 future of the list Isabelle Bracamonte   Wed  11/29/2000   2 KB

emusic.com