Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  6:47 am
Subject:  RE: getting back on track

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Jocelyn Gooch wrote:

> The week later I audition for San Francisco Opera Chorus. (AAAaack!) I hope
> three's a charm. I'm planning on singing Mi tradi. (snort)

Best of luck to you, Jocelyn - I'm sure you will do extremely well! I live
in your neighborhood, so I'll send good vibes :-)

> Anywho, that's the singing life from here at my computer. How about your
> life? Any beauty coming through? I'd love to hear.

My news is modest compared to everyone else's - but I'm excited all the
same... This Friday will be my debut as an "early music" countertenor
soloist. Many of you know I've done yards of 20th century music but have
never felt confident enough in my pre-Schoenberg musicological knowledge
that I've never ventured earlier than than Ruth Crawford Seeger. Quite
shameful for a countertenor ;-)

On a technical note I'm even more excited! I'm getting the hang of singing
without pushing, at least below my 2nd passagio. What an epiphany. Never
did I realize singing could be so effortless! I was struck by how
immediately the extra resonance kicked in with a balanced onset. I suspect
it will be a while before I regain all my previous volume, but I imagine
I'll be able to get more sound in the long run.

Tako Oda

emusic.com