Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  5:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!)

annabelle wrote:
<<
> I have always been taught that breath support is one
> of the foundations of healthy singing. I have only
> been studying for three years. But my teacher's
> roster includes very successful and famous singers who
> give all their credit to her. >>

there are a number of opera singers who believe breathing should be
just like 'normal'. carlo bergonzi stated such in a master class i was at
and i think piero cappuccili's comment was stated in the book 'divo'. in
'the four voices of man' jerome hines gives a catalogue of various types of
breathing/support used in the singing of opera, one being the passive breath
used in speech. he describes it as phonating on residual air, followed by a
relaxation that creates an inhalation by vacuum.

mike

emusic.com