Vocalist.org archive

From:  Annabelle Quince <annabelleq@y...>
Annabelle Quince <annabelleq@y...>
Date:  Wed Nov 29, 2000  2:53 am
Subject:  Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!)

I have always been taught that breath support is one
of the foundations of healthy singing. I have only
been studying for three years. But my teacher's
roster includes very successful and famous singers who
give all their credit to her. That is what I've been
taught. Good solid support is a pillar of technique.

If you read books written by Caruso and Tetrazzini and
Lilian Nordica and Lilli Lehmann and all those famous
singers from Pavarotti to Corelli to Domingo to Horne
to Sutherland to Nilsson to Gedda and even Ponselle in
the Jerome Hines book. They all talk about breath
support and how it's important. It's one of the first
things you learn, before you're even allowed to make a
sound. Even Porpora taught that way I think.

Ian do you teach opera singers? Maybe they don't need
any extra oomph if they don't hit the high notes or
sustain the long lines. Opera singers need good firm
breath support. Otherwise you put tension on to the
throat. That's just what I've been taught. I look
forward to reading how other people have been trained.
Thanks.

Annabelle

6994 Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!) Sandra   Wed  11/29/2000   3 KB
6998 Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!) David Grogan   Wed  11/29/2000   4 KB
7078 Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!) Sally Collyer   Thu  11/30/2000   6 KB
7001 Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!) RALUCOB@a...   Wed  11/29/2000   2 KB
7044 Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!) Ian Belsey   Wed  11/29/2000   4 KB
7045 Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!) David Grogan   Wed  11/29/2000   3 KB
7056 Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!) Caio Rossi   Wed  11/29/2000   2 KB
7064 Re: Breathing question (or HELP ME, IAN!!) Ian Belsey   Wed  11/29/2000   2 KB

emusic.com