Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Tue Nov 28, 2000  7:20 pm
Subject:  ADMIN: more of this voting stuff

In the interest of having the voting process be fair
and above suspicion, I'd like it if people cast a vote
on the web page (even those who have already sent in
email votes, either to me or to the list). That way,
it's not just my word about how many people emailed me
with a vote.

Here's the page:
http://www.egroups.com/surveys/vocalist-temporary?id=429877

You might have to cut and paste that. Or go to
http://www.egroups.com/polls/vocalist-temporary
and choose "Moderation - cast your vote."

---

Also, I have taken the liberty of creating (just in
case, and we don't have to use it)
"vocalist-backstage" as another egroups message. This
was one of the more successful innovations of Marko's,
in which very off-topic threads were asked to take the
discussion to the BACKSTAGE mailing list, which anyone
could join at any time, and continue their discussions
there. It siphoned the nonvocal stuff off of the main
list, but people still continued their discussions.

Note: That means OFF-topic messages. Election thread
would have been asked to move; pop vs. classical
thread would NOT have.

To subscribe, send an email to
vocalist-backstage-subscribe@egroups.com -- since
vocalist-backstage-subscribe@egroups.com -- since
there seems to be a good handful of regulars who love
off-topic discussions, this might be a good way to
keep the main Vocalist more on course, while neither
censoring nor quashing the lively discussions that
veer into the nonvocal.

--

My personal favorite out of all the choices is to take
on the "reminder" approach. Let's remind each other

Does anyone have the old Vocalist guidelines that
Marko used to send out -- and can you send me a copy?
They did have rules such as a) don't quote the entire
digest in your post, b) don't send a dozen one-line
messages every day, c) don't flame people. We can
discuss and alter any of the guidelines we don't agree
with.

Marko's "flame" moderation may have been a little
restrictive -- there's a big difference between
arguing about politics or abortion, and sharing what's
happened in our personal lives. I remember feeling
much richer as a member of the Vocalist community
because of meaningful posts from people like Jocelyn,
Carol (welcome back), Jess, and others. And I'm all
for sex, and for Karen being young and feisty. I'm
even all for those kids we used to get through the old
list, talking about Britney and the Backstreet Boys --
maybe some of them stuck around long enough to be
inspired to take a couple of voice lessons.

I'm NOT for personal insult-flinging, or the list
being dominated by a handful of repeat posters (uh,
except me... and I'm trying to curb it), or the
content of the list being only 20% vocal and 80% other
stuff. [Yes, Caio, language study is vocal, have no
fear.] I'm not for the recent exodus of valuable
members, of which Les is the most recent -- that's why
this issue has come up; people are sick of it, and
they're leaving our humble ranks in alarming numbers.

In sum: Gimme a copy of the Vocalist netiquette, keep
voting on the web page, let's think about whether we
want to use vocalist-backstage, and go practice!

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...
ibracamonte@y...

6963 Re: ADMIN: more of this voting stuff Dean FH Macy   Tue  11/28/2000   3 KB
6966 Another Thought thomas mark montgomery   Tue  11/28/2000   2 KB
6970 Re: ADMIN: more of this voting stuff Reg Boyle   Wed  11/29/2000   2 KB
6982 Re: ADMIN: more of this voting stuff Dean FH Macy   Wed  11/29/2000   2 KB
7015 Re: ADMIN: more of this voting stuff sopran@a...   Wed  11/29/2000   2 KB

emusic.com