Vocalist.org archive

From:  ccaleffie@i...
ccaleffie@i...
Date:  Tue Nov 28, 2000  5:02 pm
Subject:  mike's modest proposal

Dear mike and All,

If we leave out all music other than classical, then we'd have to change the
name of the list to "classical-vocalist". But I have to reiterate: I believe
that this is not so much about topic as it is about use of language.

Some sarcasm can be adventurous, if it isn't hurtful and insulting. Some
longer posts have been very informative. e. e. cummings is an effective
writer. Topics that have been discussed previously can be helpful for
newcomers, if not labored over. CAPITAL LETTERS ARE USUALLY USED FOR FLAMES,
BUT ARE GOOD ATTENTION-GETTERS!!! There are advantages and disadvantages to
anything. I think I might draw the line at posts with no punctuation, but then
again, I love challenges.

In other words, we are minimally limiting, censoring ourselves. However, we
shouldn't be advocating that every opinion and/or idea be exorcised by some
central, censoring power.

Is it too difficult to exercise some self-restraint before clicking on the
"Send" button?

Chris

mike wrote:
.....let us include in the list of items to be moderated out, all the things
that everyone finds too painful to read.
that list would include: anything off topic, any discussion of
non-classical music, any opinions on health by someone other than a
trained medical professional (unless, of course, the opinion was stated
under medical supervision), sarcasm, posts that are too long, posts that
are too short, posts with no capitals, posts with all capitals, topics
that have gone on too long, topics that have been discussed before,
topics that have been covered on other lists, etc.

i know i have left out a few things in the list above and i urge
those who are upset by things i have not mentioned to add their peeves to

the list. we want this to be a safe and happy environment for you as
well.

what would we have left? well, there is always shameless
self-promotion and lists of repertoire best forgotten. now, i have to
say i don't like either of these topics but, for the sake of having
something to talk about, i am willing to look the other way and just
delete those entries.

mike
ps. 'if i ruled the world, every man would say the world was his friend'

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6953 Re: Sarcasm Reg Boyle   Tue  11/28/2000   2 KB

emusic.com