Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Nov 28, 2000  4:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Can anyone help me with the name of this song?

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 Oberon603@a... wrote:

> Someone wrote this to me.
>
> >>I saw Frederica von Stade recital last year, and she did this adorable
> little encore that was based around "Voi che sapete".  The words were
> something like "I've told every little star just how sweet I think you are,
> why can't I tell you?".  Anyone know what it's called and who wrote it?<<
>
> Does anyone know what song she's talking about?

The song is Jerome Kern's and Oscar Hammerstein II's "I've Told Every
Little Star", from their 1932 show MUSIC IN THE AIR. It was later recorded
by sixteen-year-old Linda Scott and reached #3 in the Billboard Singles
Chart in 1961. There was also a notable jazz rendition by Sonny Rollins.

In MUSIC IN THE AIR, the song is a duet sung by the romantic hero, Karl
Reder (baritone), a local schoolteacher and lyricist, and the romantic
heroine, Sieglinde Lessing (soprano), and aspiring young operetta singer.
The show is a "Ruritanian" operetta set in Bavaria in the 1930, and also
yielded the famous Kern ballad "The Song is You". For more info on the
show:

http://www.nodanw.com/shows_m/music_air.htm

The complete lyrics of "I've Told Every Little Star":

I've told every little star
Just how sweet I think you are.
Why haven't I told you?

I've told ripples in a brook
Made my heart an open book.
Why haven't I told you?

Friends ask me "Am I in love?"
I always answer "yes"
Might as well confess
If I don't they guess.

Maybe you may know it too;
Oh my darling if you do
Why haven't you told me?

Karen Mercedes
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
Es en balde, majo mio, que sigas hablando
porque hay cosas que contesto yo
siempre cantando:
Tra la la...
Por mas que preguntes tanto: