Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Tue Nov 28, 2000  3:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] another vote

In a message dated 11/27/00 9:24:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
annabelleq@y... writes:

<< Also is there a rule about posting too many messages in one day? It looks
like no. Should there be? If I missed a memo I want to know. <=== annabelle

I remember some egroup directives, but not too well. We always got a weekly
mailing of all the list protocol in the Finnish-based days with Marco. [I'm
sure a few of them are still on my MacDinosaur's hard drive and can be
retrieved if enough people are interested.] It was most specific in its
recommendations of topics, length, labeling, and, indeed, about flames.

I was on a moderated listserv (for teachers of English to speakers of other
languages) where nothing off-topic was permitted. It worked extremely well,
and all of the messages were high interest (to those of us fascinated with
syntactic and semantic hairsplitting and myriad pedagogic possibilities.)
Often when someone took a poll or survey, the responses went to that
individual, and s/he posted the tabulation of the results to the list. I
always marveled at how the moderator had time to manage the listserv and
teach as well, as she had to read each message and either post it or reject
it and tell the would-be poster the reason why. People were careful not to
quote long passages from prior posts; there would be a brief recount of what
they were responding to. A lot of exchanges moved off list, not because they
were nasty, but they were more specifically for the individuals involved.

This T-ESOList resides with CUNY, the same as choralist. Is there any chance
of getting vocalist into CUNY's system?

Doris Long Thurber
soprano in New Jersey
aka: canteclada@a...